Website of the article : http://langwitches.org/blog/2008/11/19/50-ways-to-use-a-projector-in-the-classroom/
The technology I would be examining in this article is the Multimedia Projector.
According to Stephen Lilley “a Multimedia Projector is a device designed to take an image from a video source and project it as faithfully as possible onto a screen or other surface”.
Some of the ways the multimedia projector can be used in the classroom are:
- Audio visual resources from internet
- Going over tests
- Show and Tell
- Showing selected DVDs or Videos
- Displaying student work
- Comparison activities using split-screen
- Live web-cams
- Video streaming
- Sequence of pictures, time lapse, to demonstrate progression.
- Paperless handouts.
- Geography connections using Google Earth, Google Maps
- Powerpoint Jeopardy
- Skype video chatting with classes around the world
- Online Textbook
- Teach songs using apps
- Always have a backup plan.
- Check out the room ahead of time – check out the room, and make sure it has everything you need.
- Practice. If you have a complex presentation planned with several different multimedia, go to the room ahead of time and practice your presentation.
- Invest in a laser pointer.
- Include photographs to inject realism.
- Insert illustrations to clarify or emphasize.
- Stand on the left side
- Turn off the screen savers
- Learn how to use the switch that toggles both screens on.
- Keep it simple. Motion attracts their eyes..
- Test your slides for size and readability
- Arrive early and test everything.
Issue with this technology/Drawbacks:
Cost – Multimedia projector can be expensive (depends on the resolution and other specifications) ; however the uses are advantageous to both the student and the Teacher.
Benefits of the Technology
- Learner friendly
- User Friendly
- Saves time
- Resources can be recycled
- Can use to teach large class sizes
How i can use this technology in my subject area :
The multimedia can be used to enhance my lessons in any business subject I teach by incorporating the uses of the projector listed above. However I find audio/video to be most effective with my Grade 10 students .I can show them a video of the production process when teaching Principles of Business and stimulate their interest without leaving the classroom. Their is no need for an actual tour to a manufacturing facility; since the multimedia projector allows me to give my students the experience of a virtual tour. The lesson is then followed by an interactive session on the video.
Similarly i can teach an Office Administration lesson using the Multimedia projector i can show my students pictures of the various office layouts via Power-point. Combine this technology with the internet and computer systems learning take a new level. Students would be able to understand concepts more realistically because of this technology. For example when teaching a topic such as communication; after giving a demonstration using the multimedia projector ; students would attempt to communicate in real life using Email,Skype,Facebook ,Twitter, Messengers etc